Fedora Core 3

So in a bit of a bind today, I needed to install a dev server. Rather than go with my tried and true, FC2 I decided to install my freshly downloded Fedora Core 3.Install went very smooth. Picke the workstation build and then customized the packages to include the “Web Sever”, “Windows File Server”, and “MySql Database” packages. Unlike previous installs, none of these services start by default on load. I had to add them to the runlevel init. As well in past installs picking the msyql install installed server and client files, however in fc3, it only installed the client.

After installing Java 1.4.2_06 via rpm from Sun, I was able to run the installer for Jrun. No hitches there but I did have to select the location of my jvm in my /usr/java/j2sdk… folder. CFMX install went smoothly and I thought I was set…

Oh, how wrong I was. When trying to configure apache to connect to cfmx for cfm parsing, I found I was unable to run the wsconfig.jar. After trying to install it I was told…

This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java master link required by jpackage.org conventions. libgcj's rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks installed by jpackage.org JVM packages. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: while resolving class: jrunx.kernel.JRun

It was very unhappy. I dont know what this mapping script is all about, but it took some effort ( and some paniced moments I WAS IN A HURRY) I realized that if I ran the wsconfig from inside a terminal in X, and I specifically used the full path to the java binary, I was able to make it run.

So now my server is all set up. Apache is happy, mysql is happy( i downloaded the rpm’s form mysql.com) Jrun and CFMX are happy. I am ready to go. Just one more step…. restart apache so the new jrun mapping will take effect.

Boink! No go. permission denied on the .so needed by apache. Checked the permissions against other files, all seemed to be well… so what now.

Well it turns out that FC3 installs with SELinux enabled by defualt. After going in and disabling this, and restarting the server, everything really did work fine. I found the SElinux settings in System Security, under System Settings in the Application Menu.

I dont know the implications of turning this off. I assume that this machine is now as secure as my other linux machines not using SELinux. I dont know what files are modified if you dont have X installed, but I hope that this will help you start your search if you run into a similar problem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *